Datasource helped this branch of the U.S. Armed Forces generate actionable insights from its marketing, implement recruiting intelligence, and outreach efforts through the development of a custom reporting solution.
Our client is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and a critical component of ongoing military operations. They routinely engage in a variety of marketing and outreach activities focused on attracting volunteers to provide service to their country.
Over the years, marketing and outreach efforts have proven successful. However, there was an increasing importance to determine which marketing activities generate the best, long-term return on investment. The successful completion of the project allowed our client to:
- Measure the quality and volume of volunteers based on specific marketing efforts
- Increase the number of volunteers when needed
- Provide measurable results for specific marketing campaigns
Part one focused on delivering a detailed landscape. Our veteran consultants launched an aggressive campaign of interviews with senior stakeholders and sponsors from both inside and outside the organization. Over 60 interviews were conducted with senior top ranking officials, stakeholders, core users, and sponsors. Based on the information provided, Datasource Consulting created a recommendations document, outlining a comprehensive strategy for the development of a pilot implementation:
- Integrations of existing fragmented systems using Oracle and InfaTools Stage Mapping Accelerator
- Correlation of marketing activities to overall budget allocation
- Translation of lead results into actionable ROI
- Integration of analytics: Cost Data, Single Person Record, Marketing Activity, and Accession Data
- Proper identification of results
- Development of a custom, actionable reporting system
Part two focused on the implementation of the recommendations document, training current assets on the updated infrastructure, building a pilot system, and delivering a scalable architecture. Development on the pilot implementation was well underway. As they reached the first milestone, an impenetrable barrier presented a major roadblock – an inability to access a highly secured target system. An Act of Congress was needed to gain access. Our consultants recommended an alternate route which required them to start over. The proposed strategy involved standing up the pilot integration (data mart, reporting tools, etc.), using a SQL database and SSRS in the Datasource Consulting test environment. The intent was to integrate the solution in a different onsite target system once completed. Permission was granted. With a modified tactical plan in hand, our senior consultants marched on with development.
Datasource Consulting successfully installed the pilot system inside the client’s system. The integration of the pilot took only two weeks and quickly delivered actionable reporting. Despite the changes in approach and hurdles, Datasource Consulting was able to deliver a successful solution that included:
- Detailed Recommendations
- Identification of current infrastructure weaknesses
- Development of analytics for cost data, single person record, marketing activity, and accession data
- Integration of onsite solutions
- Implementation of pilot solution with custom reporting suite
- Training, education & documentation for current users